Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Lesson-A-Day (Thank you, Dewey Dunlop...)



The Bottom Line - - (Right Here Up Top)

English teachers must be in a fury. A real life Greek Tragedy unfolds in the center ring and the kids are off for the summer. Dang it!

Sarah Palin, the hero, brought down not by circumstance or accident, but by her own internal infernal machine.


When I was in school, it was tough to really get into reading those tragedies in English class. Let's face it, school assigned work is rarely undertaken with joy.

All that Shakespeare, all those Greek tragedies. Darned good thing I remembered a few things from the Cliff Notes for the final.

Tragedy isn't just something bad happening to someone. The "someone" has to be "big" (I think) and the bad stuff has to be 'self-inflicted' - often by hubris (a point on my SAT vocab section) or some other character flaw in Mr or Ms Big.

I've never known a beauty contest contestant. I speculate that some, at least, have a higher need for affirmation than most folks.

One, at least, seems to have a really thin skin.

Put that together with political career and a willingness to step into the klieg lights of a presidential campaign.

Voila - - - derived from tragōidiā (τραγῳδία), contracted from trag(o)-aoidiā, we have Sarah Palin's "goat song." [Thank you wikipedia....]

Perhaps she has some Greek origin advisors on her staff: Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides?

Who says you can't laugh at a good tragedy?

"Update" from the recent past:
"[My running times] prove[s] I have the endurance within me to at least gut it out and that is something. If you ever talk to my old coaches, they'd tell you, too. What I lacked in physical strength or skill I made up for in determination and endurance." [Emphasis added]

Oooooookay.....

3 comments:

  1. It is my opinion that she has destroyed her political future, but I hesitate to proclaim as much. Personally, I doubt she ever would have won the presidency, so in that sense I don't see how she has negatively affected her future.

    She still has an enthusiastic base so I'm confident we have not heard the last of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points,

    I love her, myself. She is a bright shining example of the current madness of the folks dominating the Republican party.

    I think of her as the "Extended Employment For Democrats" machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya I can't see how this can be a good thing if your running for national public office. But on the other hand if she is "just" going to be a fund raising draw I'm sure the party faithful will pony up to see the circus.

    ReplyDelete